Monday 7 June 2010

Trial Procedure Friday 21st May 2010


We left for London at 5am and arrived at the Royal London Neuro Wing (AW4) at 6.30am.
(Oh I forgot I did attend a Pre-admission clinic the week before for blood tests, weight, heart ECG, and MRSA swabs too and saw a nurse and a Dr!

Mr Ellamushi (Brain Surgeon, SCS Neurosurgeon) came to see me and talk to me about my 2 procedures and also to get my consent signature. He explained that they will put in the electrodes and position them either side of my spine then a trial Stimulator will be positioned outside of my body then if the trial works (after approx 3days) then a permanent one will be inserted in my tummy.

I went down to the Theatre at 4pm ( a long wait as they had two emergencies come in) and the op took 4 Hours. When I went back to the ward after recovery my hubby was there and 2 people from Boston Scientific who were there to "programme me in" It sounds really weird, they said to me "we are going to start programming when you feel something please let us know" I was still quite drowsy and had an oxygen mask on but managed to tell them what I was feeling!

I just couldn't believe what I was feeling It was working! I was speechless and amazed and words failed me I had tears in my eyes because after 12 years of sciatica and pain it had gone and I was left with a lovely comfortable tingling sensation! They programmed 3 settings into the hand held remote control so that if I wanted to raise or reduce sensation I could do so!

No comments:

Post a Comment