Monday 7 June 2010

2009 My Drs surgery appt and holiday & my Dad

In early 2009 I went to my Doctor just for a review of my medications and an overhaul!! my Sciatica was completely unbearable and to be quite honest I was very very down and depressed! For everyone who knows me I put on a smile but deep down inside I was a different me!!
My Sciatica had started to go down my right leg and into my knee, shin, foot and toes. My Dr referred me to my local hospital to have an MRI with Contrast Dye and it came very quickly (just before we were due to go on our holiday) The staff there were amazing and put me at ease! (Its funny I was nervous although I have had many previous procedures done)

We had a wonderful holiday in Florida although I really do suffer with the flights, journeys etc I have adapted to make myself as comfortable as possible examples : small Hot water bottle for my lower back (which the flight attendants don't mind filling) plenty of relaxing music, water, medications, cushions, pillows, vitamin C tablets, flight stockings and I make sure that I do exercises and move up and around as much as possible!
Also my Dr wrote a letter to say that I needed extra leg room, which is best so that hubby can rub my back gently for me when I stand!

Unfortunately when we arrived back from holiday we had a phone call from Mum she told us that Dad had had his results back from our hospital to say that my Dad had Cancer of the Oesophagus (we knew that he was suffering from indigestion and was having tests Dad was never ill) we just couldn't believe it!
We took Dad to his Appts in Canterbury and to the WHH and our Doctors where they said that the Tumour had grown outside of the Oesophagus and that they could only treat him with one week of strong Radiotherapy.
Our friends took Dad and Mum to Canterbury everyday for the week as I wasn't able to (which was so nice of them) Dad didn't like putting people out
Dad was finding it increasingly hard to eat and was really only able to eat soups and soft things. His weight was dropping off of him and it was so awful to see him losing so much weight!
The Radiotherapy didn't work and when we took him for his appt on the 6th October 2009 they only gave him 6 months to live!
On the 1st of Dec 09 I went for my SCS appt and we found out that I was a good candidate for the procedure! (part of me wanted the SCS but I couldn't really think about it as my mind was on my Dad constantly)

No comments:

Post a Comment